Friday, June 10, 2011

Literature

I've been meaning to post something about the books and films I've seen that have resonated with me.  I don't have anything more relevant or interesting than a list, but it's a good list.  Many of the films I've acquired over the years have a fairly common theme.  Either they have Ewan McGregor in them, or they're on the topic of flexible genders.  (Or awesome, there's plenty of those.)

Films:

Breakfast on Pluto - Cillian Murphy as an adorable Irish youth, with Liam Neeson as the village priest and her illegitimate father.  While it is serious at times, it has a cheeky humor to it that I adore.
Orlando - Tilda Swinton plays first a young man, then a young woman, and all of them Orlando.  Cursed, or perhaps blessed with immortality, Orlando somehow swaps sexes midway through the film.  Woohoo!
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything!  Julie Newmar - A rollicking film about a... Troupe?  Gaggle?  Murder? of self-described drag queens on a trek across the USA to get to the Drag Queen of the Year competition in LA.  Starring Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and John Leguizamo.
Kinsey - Liam Neeson plays Alfred Kinsey, who founded the Kinsey Institute for Research in Sex, Gender and Reproduction.  While this one is often a more difficult one to watch, it affords a glimpse into the life of a man who made a career out of sexual studies and concerns.

Books:
Monstrous Regiment, by Terry Pratchett - The 31st of the Discworld series, this is the only one of that series that I have read.  I know, I know, shame.  But I picked it up in an airport and spent the flight feeling oddly emotional as I read it.  (Should have known.)  It's really an adorable book.

I think that's all I have on published literature.

What triggered this post, aside from a desire to go through and make a list of all the best queer/drag/trans themed movies and books I could think of/own, was Jamie Wyman Reddy allowing one of her characters a brief flash in the spotlight.  Her 'screen test' as she calls it, can be found at the link below.  It's a brilliant look into a situation that hits close to home, and it stands as an attest to Jamie's abilities to look inside a character, even one very different from her, and speak from the inside out.

http://jamiewyman.blogspot.com/2011/06/eli-character-screen-test.html

No comments:

Post a Comment